What is Societies Registration?
An entity or group of people working together not for profits but for the welfare of the general public or a particular group of people or with an agenda of helping the community in some way, as per law, has an option of registering themselves as a SOCIETY to gain a legal status.
A non-commercial organization with seven or more persons coming together for any scientific,literary or charitable purposes or for purposes as mentioned in section 20 of The Societies Registration Act, 1860, may get Society Registration under the act by subscribing their names to a Memorandum of Association, and filing the same with Registrar of Joint-stock Companies.
Section 20 mentions the following societies shall fall under this act and may be registered under so:
- Charitable societies
- the military orphan funds or societies established at the several presidencies of India
- societies established for
- the promotion of science, literature, or the fine arts for instruction
- the diffusion of useful knowledge
- the diffusion of political education
- the foundation or maintenance of libraries or reading-rooms for general use among the members or open to the public
- public museums and galleries of
- paintings and other works of art
- collections of natural history
- mechanical and philosophical inventions
What is a Memorandum of Association?
As per Section 2 of The Societies Registration Act, 1860, a Memorandum of Association shall contain the below mentioned:
- Name of the society
- Registered Office
- Area of Operation
- Aims and Objects of the Society
- Name, address and other details of the directors, council or other members of the governing body who shall be regulating the management of its affairs.
- Governing body
- Desirous persons
Along with the Memorandum of Association, a copy of the Rules and Regulations of the Society, certified to be a one by not less than three of the members of the governing body, shall be filed.
The rules shall mention details
- Constitution of the Society
- Membership and subscription
- Termination of the Members
- Details of the Office bearers
- Duties of the Office Bearers
- Source of Income of society and Bank Accounts
- Dissolution of the Society
- Provision of Legal Disputes
The list is not exhaustive and may include other details as per individual instance.
Documents Required for Society Registration
For registration of the society following documents shall be required:
- A covering letter with a request to register the society under the law.
- A Memorandum of Association
- Copy of Rules and Regulation of the Society
- List of all members of the Society
- Affidavits of the office bearers
- Residential proof of all the members
- Proof of address of the registered address, or NOC from the Landlord
- ALL the above documents require being submitted to the Registrar of the Societies with the requisite fee as prescribed in 2 copies, one which shall be returned as an acknowledgment. Upon careful examination of the documents, an Incorporation Certificate with a registration number shall be allotted.
- The procedure till the allotment of the Incorporation Certificate takes about 1 month of time to be completed.